We have all heard the adage, “If you want to make God laugh tell Him your plans.” Well, this is true.
Two years ago I made the decision to step out of the Executive Director position for The Covering House and serve only in the capacity of Founder and Board President. To be perfectly honest, I was bone tired and was quickly approaching burn-out. I loved The Covering House, the girls and staff but the tiredness that I was experiencing, sleep and rest couldn’t even touch.
I approached the board and asked to step out of the day-to-day. The board was completely supportive and agreed. Changes were then made in leadership at The Covering House. I decided to focus on spending more time with aging parents and in-laws and take up knitting. I taught myself to knit which was very therapeutic. I’m not great at it but I have mastered items like bookmarks, scarves, and blankets…anything that is in a straight line, and I don’t have to turn a corner.
However, in May of this year, some changes occurred in leadership at The Covering House and the Board of Directors asked me to return and serve as the Interim Executive Director. I said, of course, I would serve, and I am excited to be back and working with the staff and girls. Let me just bring you up to date of a few changes since May.
- Several people have been promoted within the organization. (Learn More)
- These promotions have led to increased leadership, and our new leaders are developing new ideas…implementing new programs…and growing professionally.
- We have welcomed back some staff to The Covering House.
- The staff has a new energy and excitement about helping girls and furthering the mission of The Covering House.
- We have finalized all the details with the new property and will be starting the needed construction for expanding our services.
As for me, I can honestly say that I love being back. I am excited about where The Covering House is going and how we will be impacting more kids. I am refreshed and energized. I am glad that God’s plans are bigger and better than my plans.
I want to thank each of you who continually support The Covering House and read our posts and newsletters. I am grateful that God has connected us, so together we can help more girls.
On behalf of all the girls we serve, I am deeply appreciative.
Founder and Executive Director